We’ve reached the half way mark of the 30 Day Challenge. It is a fitting name as it has been a challenge to update my blog for the past 15 days, no matter how busy my day had been, or how tired I was at the end of it. It’s also been fun. I actually look forward to sitting down and writing each afternoon or evening. I may have a general idea of what I want to say, but it always turns out differently than I intended. Many times it is as if God is ministering to me as I write and teaching me with each word that is typed.
I’ve also been incredibly blessed by the people who have risen to the challenge. When I announced the challenge I needed $708 a month by September 30th in order to be fully funded. This is the deadline that AltLink gave me so I can be financially cleared in order to depart with my team on October 31st.
The Challenge stated that if 28 families or individuals would give $25 a month (half of what I spent to fill up my car with gas this morning), I would reach my goal. In the past fifteen days, six people have contacted me to pledge their support. At this halfway mark, I now only need $508 more of monthly support!
You may be considering giving monthly but have questions. So here are answers to some Frequently Asked Questions:
WHY DO YOU RAISE SUPPORT?
I wrote about this topic in my 30 Day Challenge post. It builds discipline, fosters accountability, strengthens my faith and encourages my team of partners. Beyond that it is Biblical:
- The example of the Levites (Numbers 18:24)- The Jews gave their tithe to the priests for support.
- The example of Jesus (Luke 8:2,3)- Many people supported Jesus and the disciples.
- The teaching of Jesus (Mt. 10:9,10)- A Kingdom worker is worthy of his support.
- The example of Paul (Acts 18:4,5)- He stopped tentmaking to preach full time on support.
- The teaching of Paul (1 Cor. 9:1-18)- He had the right to be supported by the churches.[i]
WHAT DOES THE SUPPORT COVER?
Working with the islanders is my job so the support I receive covers the many of the same expenses that your salary covers including: housing, medical insurance, taxes, student loan payments and work expenses. Check out my Support page to get a graphical breakdown of the percentages that go to each category.
CAN I GIVE ONE TIME AND NOT MONTHLY?
Yes. One-time donations will be divided by 30 (the number of months I will be on the islands) and given to me as if it were a monthly donation.
HOW DO I GIVE THE FIRST TIME?
- Go to www.altlinkpartners.org.
- You will be tempted to search for name in the box that says “name”. Resist this temptation and it will yield no results.
- Instead, under the “Home” folder, click “Other” folder.
- In the middle screen, put the donation next to “Other1”, then click “Add to Gift Cart”.
- At the top of the screen it will add the about to your Gift Cart, then click “Continue to Check out”.
- In the “Gift Comments” section, type my name: Jessica Kyle.
- Decide the frequency and whether you want to send it now or begin at a later date. (I leave October 31st, so all pledges should begin no later than that date).
- Click continue and add in payment details.
CAN I PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD?
Yes. You can pay with a credit card or have automatic deductions taken from your checking account. You can also pay with a check by mailing it to AltLink PO Box 2490 Peachtree City, GA 30269-7611. Do not put my name on the check or the donation will not be tax deductible. Include my name on a separate paper with the check.
I am looking forward to the next 15 days to see what God is going to teach me. I also hope that you will prayerfully consider becoming a part of my support team.